STEM Identity

 I do not think my identity per se influenced my educational path. My age itself did, however. When I was younger I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I had no roles models that I was trying to emulate. With time and experience I realized that I loved helping people, and wanted a career relating to the medical field. I also am very curious about how things work. While pursuing other degree paths, I was finally led to Biology, my one true love. It has everything I want.

My identity has impacted my sense of belonging though. I am twice the age of most of my fellow students. I feel like a bit of an outsider at times, and certainly way behind everyone else. When they are my current age, they will be masters of their field. I am already older than many of my professors. When I enter the workforce again, people much younger than I am will have much more knowledge and experience.  It is something I am having to get comfortable with. I also feel like I will have much less time to make a significant contribution. 

I was not encourage to pursue STEM at a young age. I was not encouraged in any direction at all. It was not until I joined the military, where I studied nuclear power, that I realized my love for science. As far as role models, some of my teachers in community college were very inspiring. I admired their knowledge of their field, and wanted to be that skilled someday. A part of me thinks I may enjoy teaching as well from watching them. With each student they share with, they are making a great contribution to society. As far as other role models, such as the great Curie or Tesla, I have no delusions to ever be that impactful. There brilliance is well beyond my own, but I can still play a part, and I am ok with that.  I don't need my name to be remembered. I just want to help. If I can at least muster their determination, I should be able to do just that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASU Week 1

Fall 4: Literature Review

Fall 9 Epigenetics and Gaming Addiction