Gut Microbiome and prenatal bacteria


As part of the microbiome supergroup, I was given the assignment to do a presentation with a research partner on the gut microbiome. I was tasked with doing a general review, while my partner will present on a more specific topic in relation. One of the things I came across in my research is the possibility of a prenatal microbiome. Popular belief has been that we are sterile until birth. New research suggests that small niches of bacteria may exist inside the fetus, potentially aiding growth and development.  The article admittedly stated more research is needed before these thing could be stated with any certainty, but the potential for new insight is very exciting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6306741/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASU Week 1

Fall 4: Literature Review

WEEK 6 Cystic Fibrosis